Monday 5 December 2011

Psychomotor agitation and retardation and self-harming

I think I have psychomotor retardation. I feel like I can't move....I can't get up to get myself food. I want to go back to bed. It feels like a slowing or shutting down of my body - I guess its because I've exhausted myself. Perhaps its adrenal exhaustion from spurting out too much cortisol??!!
"Psychomotor retardation involves a slowing-down of thought and a reduction of physical movements in an individual. Psychomotor retardation can cause a visible slowing of physical and emotional reactions, including speech and affect. This is most-commonly seen in people with major depression ; it is also associated with the adverse effects of certain drugs, such as benzodiazepines"

And yesterday I think I had psychomotor agitation:

"Psychomotor agitation is a series of unintentional and purposeless motions that stem from mental tension and anxiety of an individual. This includes pacing around a room, wringing ones hands, pulling off clothing and putting it back on and other similar actions. In more severe cases, the motions may become harmful to the individual, such as ripping, tearing or chewing at the skin around ones fingernails or lips to the point of bleeding. Psychomotor agitation is a symptom typically found in major depressive disorder or obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I was chewing at the inside of my mouth and lips because I felt like those areas were itchy and tingly - they were certainly irritated. I also felt like I had 'something' inside me I needed to get out - I've had this sensation before and hitting my head or pulling at my hair seemed to help 'get it out'. Yesterday I felt so agitated and irritable that I bit my arm as hard as I could. There is still a mark. I guess this equates to self-harm......I can see why others do it - to get some relief. Its a coping mechanism to provide temporary relief or distraction from intense feelings such as anxiety and depression.

Why do people deliberately self-harm?
To release tension or angry feelings
To distract themselves from emotional pain
To snap out of dissociation
To feel "real"
To stop having a panic attack
To stop lashing out at others
To escape problems by getting "out of it"
Self hatred


No comments:

Post a Comment