Tuesday 1 May 2012

Withdrawing from my PhD

I've come to the realisation that I'd rather die than get back to work on my PhD. I've been worried all this time about being allowed to / having permission to quit. I can't tell you the relief I felt and clearly exhibited when I was told that I could.....that we'll manage.

All I had to do was call my supervisor and let her know. She obviously doesn't want me to go because she tried to convince me to suspend completely for 6 months in order to completely recover. She's going to find out about options and what would happen with regard to scholarship funds already paid to me. We'll have a meeting with all my supervisors and DH next week. I'll leave it at that for now.

I've done some good and well received work but I'm not sure its worth it to continue for my health and sanity sake. I really don't feel I will regret it. All the same - I am extremely grateful for all the support my supervisor has given and continues to try and give in order to help me complete. It's not the workplace or the people - its just the PhD I can't seem to face. I just cannot concentrate.

My head hurts badly on top today - and you know I cannot cope with headaches - they terrify me.


2 comments:

  1. The reality of a PhD is that it simply isn't for some people (for a variety of reasons). The key is recognising and accepting this as soon as practically possible. As with many things in life, if something makes you unhappy or depressed then it's probably not for you.

    As someone with a PhD, many may well think 'ah that's easy for you to say' but the fact is, it is only a PhD and your health is far more important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if it was not for you, then it was not for you. I think people do have to know what can happen at grad school and be prepared. Heck, just by thinking about thesis topic can make it overwhelming for people. Anyway, I do hope everything went well with your life after withdrawing from the program.

    ReplyDelete