Friday 4 May 2012

My mind has shut like a clam

...the very sight of those dense, black, barbed-wire letters made my mind shut like a clam - Sylvia Plath


My mind has shut like a clam or rather a big black curtain is drawn and I can't see anything beyond it - no future.

I've withdrawn from everyone and shut down. I am emotionally numb, too afraid too move or speak. Does anyone else experience attacks where the brain appears to shut down and its really hard to move or communicate? I feel blah and my mind says duh....and that's my day - aside from panic in between.

This could explain some of it:

 "As science gains greater insight into the consequences of stress on the brain, the picture that emerges is not a pretty one. A chronic overreaction to stress overloads the brain with powerful hormones that are intended only for short-term duty in emergency situations. Their cumulative effect damages and kills brain cells".

I've been living in such a heightened state of anxiety that I can no longer function. I feel that physically and mentally I cannot handle 'this' anymore and my mind has gone into shut down.




No comments:

Post a Comment