Monday 16 July 2012

Phobos, Phrike and Demios - Gods of Fear, Horror, Terror and the like


Fear - Diemos, Phobos, and Phrike - Matt Lindley


I picked up a brochure from The Phobic Trust whilst sitting in the waiting room at my Psychologist's this morning. One the front page read:

"The Greek God 'Phobos' was called upon in ancient times to strike fear into the heart of ones enemies. Fear, or phobia, was believed to be one of the worst punishments to be inflicted with."

I'd agree with that!

Then I Googled Phobos to find that Phobos is often depicted as "staring backwards with eyes that glowed with fire. His mouth was full of teeth in a white row, fearful and daunting…"
Phobos often is depicted as having a lion’s or lion-like head. Interesting, given that I am a Leo. Are more Leos than other star signs typically afflicted with this horror/terror/fear that is chronic severe anxiety?

Phobos has a twin brother: Demios - the personification of terror. And then there is Phrike - the Greek Goddess of shivering and tremor. But I don't know where she fits into the Greek God genealogy!

Anyway - an interesting aside I thought. And the image above by Matt Lindley I feel captures some of the dizzying turmoil felt when in the grasp of anxiety - terrors and phobia.

2 comments:

  1. The image is no longer available on Zazzle. The current link is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/abe-froman/5863525913/

    ReplyDelete